Fasten Your Seatbelts. It’s going to be a long ride.
Let me catch you up to speed. I used to blog, then I stopped, then I pretended to start again and never really did.
After my 18 months as a full fleged and full time member of the Real World work force, I retired from my job as an administrative assistant at SF’s greatest Physical Therapy clinic to follow my dreams, set some goals, and hopefully achieve them. I know leaving a well-paying, great working environment, flexible job was not necessarily the smartest thing I’ve ever done. I remember how long it took me to find the PT job and how miserable I was before then (see former blog for details).
But, like Mary Poppins, I felt it was time for me to share my cleanliness, singing voice, and general practically perfectness with another family—specifically a family that wasn’t so sports and exercise-oriented. I’ve been looking for jobs in the thee-aye-ter ever since. I knew it would be tough for me to find another job But the time felt right for me to spread my wings a little.
So after a few months of living the dream at Maureen and Mike’s wedding, TACSC 2.0, and Tahoe 2k10, I decided it was really time to crack down and start my life. Cut to August 17 and the announcement of the Jet Blue All You Can Jet pass. Spanning the month of Sep 7 – Oct 6, one paid a flat rate and can fly as often as one wants—anywhere that Jet Blue flies. I’ve never flown Jet Blue, but I’ve heard the hype, I was planning a trip to New York anyway, and I figured why not catch up with a few friends around the country as well? Thus, my national tour was born.
I am spending the next 4 weeks flying around the good ol USA—from the mountains, to the praries, to the oceans white with foam… from sea to shining sea…and back again. To paraphrase the words of Mr. Ray Charles’ grammar school anthem “Fifty Nifty United States,” I plan to scout the shit out of them, shout them, and tell all about my adventures. I’m going mostly East Coast, because there’s some caca-mamey flying rule type thing that won’t let me fly directly from San Francisco anywhere that’s not East. But it's OK, because Allison Janney and Mandy Moore taught me How To Deal.
Leg 1 of my trip will take me from SF to Rochester, NY to NYC to New Orleans and back home to SF.
Why call the blog “I want to go to there.”? Well, I’ve been reflecting on what my life has become in the two years since college graduation. And I think I’m turning into Liz Lemon. (see below). I know it’s trendy to identify with Liz Lemon, and I hate that. But I would like to offer a couple examples of how I’m well on my way:
2. I don’t know how to order cocktails. (For those not in the know, Liz’s confident order of a “Manhattan” at the bar changes to an apologetic “white wine spritzer” when the bartender asks her to choose a bourbon. See my favorite quotes on Facebook for specific dialogue)
3. Liz has said “I hate people, too!” and meant it.
4. “Hey nerds! Guess who's got 2 thumbs, speaks limited French, and hasn't cried once today?” (maybe not that last part…)
So I’m sitting here at the Firewood Café at SFO. And I’m drinking a Manhattan. I pretended not to hear when they asked what kind of bourbon because I forgot the word “well”. I have the gate in sight, because I don’t want to pull a Christie Miller and miss my flight because I’m drinking. (Shout out to everyone at Maureen and Mike’s wedding!)
I made a thorough detailed, color coordinated itinerary for my trip. I told everyone that my flight for Rochester left at 10:30 tonight. My roommates, Carol (who’s into Speech therapy), and Dennis (who lives on the 3rd floor with Carol) planned my whole drop off. Thanks for the fog, God, because it was supposed to leave at 10:05! I got to my computer and checked my itinerary which says “10:05.” Thanks for not reading it, anyone!
Peace out, and I’ll check in at my next airport. (Leave comments, because I need validation!)
G
evidently a little night music is the way to go. <--- that's me leaving a comment. i'll be more coherent when it's no longer 2am
ReplyDeleteRelieved you are writing again. It was like a little part of me was dying inside during your sabbatical. Have a great time!
ReplyDeletesorry greg, the color on the itinerary distracted me from looking at the time. btw, your next flight leaves at 4:15p est. have fun!
ReplyDeleteOoh! Thanks for the shout! Let no one ever forget to reference Christie's flight mishap, ever.
ReplyDeletePS I think that people who say, "Have a safe flight!" are dicks. Duh, your flight is going to be safe. People should say, "Have a pleasant flight!" or "Enjoy your flight!" or remind you to drink a lot on your flight.
Honestly, I only asked for the itinerary to be polite.
ReplyDeleteHope you're taking pictures of whatever doll we decided on in all your exciting locations!
ReplyDeleteGiven that you liken yourself to Mary Poppins' practically perfectness, I likened you to one who would read and know his itinerary times. Failure to inform you of your true flight time is simply a reflection of the fact that we all know (or I suppose I will speak for myself)...I know you are practically perfect in every way. I hope you are bringing MP's travel tote with you - while not entirely stylish, it is entirely effective for the strict carry-on rules enforced by TSA.
ReplyDelete